Finding healthy “snacks” for older babies can be quite a challenge.
Even “those” snacks that are marketed to infants tend to be loaded with sugar and other ingredients a tiny tummy just doesn’t need. These healthy little muffins are loaded with iron, protein, calcium and even vitamins and minerals, courtesy of banana, quinoa (a grain that’s considered a complete protein!), maple syrup and eggs. The texture is light enough to crumble away in pieces your little one may easily manage.
It is very important that you never leave your baby alone when he is eating finger foods. Also, there is no recipe on the planet that can guarantee that large bits won’t fall or be sucked off, creating a choking hazard. Please be sure to use your judgment when offering these tasty treats to your little one!
8-10 months +
- ???1/2 cup quinoa flour
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 2 mashed bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (I used honey for my batch but it is not appropriate for babies under 1 yr. of age)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. powdered vanilla (use the same amount if using liquid vanilla)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in one bowl and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Stir to combine then spoon into a mini-muffin tin.
- Bake for 6-10 minutes.
- Transfer tin to a wire rack for even cooling.