Let’s get in the car and head to McD’s and grab some healthy nuggets and fries – Let’s not!
Like most parents, the thought of serving my kiddos chicken nuggets remains a bit creepy. Yet not serving chicken nuggets meant giving up a quick grab-n-go lunch, or even dinner, when the clock ticked into mealtime without alerting me. Enter my passion for changing things up. I like to invent different ways to create nuggets, loaves and “muffins” by tweaking the common [beef] meatloaf or muffin recipe. Having recently found frozen turkey breast cutlets in the freezer, I decided to try my hand at a poultry nugget this time.
This recipe is simple, can be made egg free and is best served warm from the oven. You can freeze the nuggets before you cook them or after they have been cooled and cooked.
Suitable for babies aged 9 months and older, you can mash the nuggets apart into bits and pieces that can be easily chewed and pick up. You can also chop or lightly puree if needed
- 5 uncooked, thin turkey breast cutlets (you could use a pound of boneless and skinless chicken breasts)
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup wheat germ - raw
- 1 egg (you may omit the egg, see directions below)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- spice mix - sage, thyme, pepper, garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Dice or cut the turkey into small chunks and grind in a food processor.
- Mix the spices together using equal portions; I always measure my spices in shakes and I used 1 shake of each.
- Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until nicely combined - If you have decided to not use the egg, add 1 tablespoon of water.
- Shape mixture into nuggets or logs or anything you please, be sure your hands are moist (dip them into a bowl of water) so that the nuggets will stay together!
- Bake for 15-20 minutes on a ridged baking sheet *or on oven racks set into a baking sheet) until golden and done.
- Serve with a side of apple or pumpkin butter, marinara or pasta sauce for dipping.
Variations: Use a mix of 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs instead of the cornmeal and wheat germ Use a tablespoon of natural applesauce and a dash of cinnamon to make these nuggest differently "sweet".