This slow cooker applesauce recipe is delicious anytime of the year. Once the Fall begins to creep in and the apple orchards have apples ready to pick, you know it’s time to begin making all things apple. 🍎
Slow Cooker Applesauce for Baby and the Family
Recommended Age and Stage: 6 months+ | Stage One | First Foods and Beyond | 4 to 6 hours cooking
- 6 pounds of apples – try a mix of Macintosh and Fuji or just Macintosh
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cinnamon stick or 2 teaspoons powdered cinnamon
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- pinch of nutmeg ginger and/or allspice (optional)
Wash, peel and core the apples
Chop apples roughly or use an apple slicer
Add apples to a 5qt crockpot/slow cooker
Add spices then pour water over apples - stir to combine
Cover, set heat to low and simmer away for up to 8 hours!
Check this every hour or so and give it a stir. It will be done when it is at the texture you like; it can be chunky or really thin.
❄ Store in fridge for 3 days for baby but you can stretch to 6 days for older folks with stronger tummies! Freezes well in quart freezer bags!
Slow Cooker Applesauce – Make Apple Butter
- replace water with 1/2 cup apple cider
- add 1/2 cup brown sugar
- spices as desired
- Simmer until liquid is well reduced, color is brown and texture is thick like paste. Cool and puree if desired