Around 8 to 9 months old, babies will really begin to show an interest in feeding themselves. I know it can be totally messy and that the dog and the floor will get most of the food offered but it is important to let baby really dig in on her own. This dish is nothing but simple, yummy old-school comfort food.
There are many variations of the broccoli cheese casserole and most of them make use of that glob of orange that is Velveeta. I confess, I have used the glob a few times but I cut the amount in half and used extra sharp cheddar shreds to make up for it. For this recipe, it’s healthy and wholesome real cheddar all the way. I hope you enjoy.
Cheesy Crumbly Broccoli Casserole
- 1 big bag of broccoli florets – about 2-3 pounds
- 3 cups of shredded Extra Sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup Milk
- Pepper & Garlic to your taste
- 1-2 packets of Whole Grain Crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Crush up the crackers into chunky crumbs
- Boil water in a large pot on the stove top
- Add broccoli florets to boiling water and steam-boil for 4 minutes
- Drain broccoli and place in a shallow 9×13 baking pan
- Grease the pan with butter if desired
- Sprinkle some crumbs over the pan
- In a large sauce-pot, melt the cheese over low and as the cheese is melting, whisk in the milk
- Add the pepper and/or garlic and whisk
- Once cheese and milk are thoroughly combined and “saucey”, pour over the broccoli in the pan
- Sprinkle remaining crumbs on the top of the broccoli and then pop pan into the oven
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbly. Allow to cool prior to serving to baby.
Suitable for babies 8 months and older who do not have dairy allergies or a family history of dairy allergies – consult your pediatrician if in doubt.