Roast apples and fennel together to create a sweet, nutty licorice-anisey flavor side dish and tasty puree for babies.
Fennel tastes like a cross between licorice and cabbage. When you roast fennel, it brings out the licorice flavor but also adds a slightly nutty twist to the flavor. Fennel (and fennel with apples) is also a great addition to a roasted potato or carrot dish.
Roasted Apples and Fennel
- 1 bulb fennel
- 3-4 large Macintosh apples
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples and fennel lightly with olive oil (EVVO)
- Add in cinnamon and vanilla if using
- Spread apples and fennel mix on a large roasting pan and place in oven
- Stir occasionally until tender and beginning to caramelize, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven when tender and allow to cool