When selecting cauliflower from the grocery store, it is important to purchase a cauliflower that is almost completely wrapped in its green leaves. The leaves protect the tender curd from bruising and mold. The more leaves, the more protection.
Cauliflower is a good food for babies as it is packed with Vitamin A, Vitamin C and even Folate and Lutein! Here’s the but – cauliflower can cause lots of gas and tummy upsets. You may want to wait until baby is around 8 months old to introduce it.
This recipe for roasted cauliflower brings out a wonderful flavor and the subtle hint of lemon just makes my taste-buds smile!
Roasted Lemon Cauliflower – Cauliflower Baby Food Recipe
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 Meyer lemon
- pepper to taste
- garlic (minced or powder to taste)
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Wash, remove leaves & stalk portions
- Wash again and then chop the cauliflower
- Add cauliflower to a large baking dish and drizzle with olive oil – enough to have the bottom of the dish coated
- Sprinkle on some pepper, dash of garlic powder
- Slice up 1 meyer lemon (the tiny sweet ones) into thinnish slivers
- Squeeze the juice from 3 small sliver slices over the cauliflower
- Mix it all up then cover baking dish with tinfoil
- Roast until fork tender – approx 20-40 minutes, check on progress because it can brown quickly!
Puree, mash or serve in bite-sized pieces. Add some pears or another fruit or veggie if desired.
Lemon should not pose an issue for babies over 8 months of age
Toss remaining lemon into a large jug of ice water and enjoy!