Pastina is a great pasta to offer babies and even toddlers because it can get so mushy that it is virtually choke free. You can make the pastina and then toss in whatever your baby’s tummy desires.
Pastina can be made into and added into anything, quite literally! Below I am sharing three of my favorite ways to prepare pastina for little ones – Eggy Pastina, Pumpkin Pastina and the classic Banana Pastina Baby Cereal.
Quick, easy, hearty, warm and nutritious, you should make pastina a staple in your cupboards.
Each of these recipes takes about six minutes to prepare. No, that is not a long time to spend at the stove-top at all!
Creamy Pastina Baby Cereal Recipe
- Follow package directions and
- Bring the water to a boil
- Add the pastina
- Set timer for 4 minutes; when time is up, crack open the egg and whisk it in.
- Cook for another 2 minutes until the egg is thoroughly cooked and the pastina looks a creamy white.
- Serve warm
Add yogurt, fruit purees, veggies purees and really, whatever you like.
You can also add in warm broth and make this a soup or even sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese too
Oh the possibilities!
Pastina Banana Cereal – yet another easy-peasy baby cereal that even the big kids will love. Prepare according to directions above but, you guessed it, mash in a 1/2 of a ripe banana. I bet you get at this point right?
* Wheat and eggs are being recommended for babies earlier than in the past. Many pediatricians, and indeed the AAP, suggest that delaying alergenic foods may no longer the best thing to do. Typical recommendation for wheat – 8 months; for egg – 6 to 12 months with yolks being generally recommended around 6-8 months