Take one holiday vegetable tradition and give it a healthy twist so that even the babies among you can enjoy a creamy veggie side dish this holiday season.
Did you just cringe as you read the title of this post and the words “green bean casserole”? If you did, and even if you crinkled up your nose and rolled your eyes, I forgive you because first impressions are sometimes downright awful (just like that green bean casserole).
The truth is that there is usually someone in every family that makes a green bean casserole and many of us cringe as we scoop out an obligatory portion. I admit that sometimes I really do enjoy the green bean casserole. It takes me back to my childhood, when I would sneak the fried onions from the can and run off in jubilant victory.
During the holidays it is difficult to feed the wee ones with little fuss and in keeping with the healthy habits we have been nurturing. Here is a healthy, yummy green bean casserole recipe that the whole family can enjoy! I hope you enjoy it too!
Creamy Green Bean Casserole for Babies
A healthy twist on a holiday tradition – while there are more than 2 ingredients, you can just use the 2 basics for a yummy tasting result!
- 8 cups of fresh green beans – washed and trimmed
- 1 small onion – diced (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic – peeled and crushed (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt (I'm partial to Stonyfield as they are just up the road from me!)
- 3 tablespoons flour (all purpose will work)
- olive oil
- pepper and nutmeg as desired (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees
- Saute the onion and garlic in a small pan with olive oil
- Boil the green beans for approximately 8 minutes (steam them if you have a large steamer) – you want them to be crisp yet soft, but not limp and over cooked as they will also be baking)
- Drain the green beans and set aside – add the sauteed onion and garlic to the green beans
- Prepare a baking dish (3 quart or a 9×13 will work well) by wiping it with olive oil
- In a bowl, combine yogurt, flour, pepper and nutmeg, whisk well to combine (increase the spices as desired)
- Put the green beans into the prepared baking dish then pour the yogurt “sauce” over the green beans – swirl around to thoroughly coat beans
- Sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs if desired
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until beans are fork tender.
For Baby: Serve pureed if needed or mashed depending on your baby’s stage. If you don’t want to make the full casserole, just stir some yogurt into baby’s green beans for a nice creamy veggie meal!