Healthy Tasty Muffins
Do I really need to say more? Muffins can be sweet or savory, veggie or fruit and even can be meat-y. You can pack all of the food groups into a muffin and then, call it a meal. Your kids will love muffins in all their delicious glory.
Muffins are really nice for older babies and toddlers too. Of course us big kids could eat them until the cows come home! In this muffin recipe, you’ll find a hearty texture with a lightly sweet taste. The best thing about these muffins is that they crumble and crumble and crumble…. perfect for little fingers.
Add Raisins and Dates Too
I used raisins and dates in this recipe. I would encourage you to chop up the raisins if you’ll be offering these to your baby/toddler; raisins can pose a choking hazard. You can also skip the raisins if you’d like. Serve warm and slathered in real butter or spread with honey (no honey for under 12 months!) Mix up some fruit jam with some plain whole milk yogurt and you’ll have a creamy spread to top these muffins with.
- 1 cup wheat germ - untoasted
- 1 cup flour - whole wheat or whole wheat pastry
- 1/4 cup chopped raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1 Granny Smith apple - peeled
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. nutmeg
- 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup of milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In one bowl, combine the milk, vanilla and wheat germ. Let stand until soupy then grate in the apple.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all of the other dry ingredients together. I actually used about 3 tsp. of each spice - you may want to adjust as you prefer.
- Add egg, oil and maple syrup to the bowl with the soaked wheat germ and stir to combine.
- Add wet mix to dry and mix well.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until toothpick comes out clean and tops are golden.
1 banana per each egg
1/4 cup apple sauce per each egg
The above will impart the flavor of the fruit into the recipe and will affect texture a bit; you will have a denser, less fluffy pancake.
1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds mixed with 2 to 3 tablespoons of hot water – allow to thicken and cool then use.Enjoy!