Purple/Pink Applesauce? Who wouldn’t like to eat purple applesauce? Your older baby will absolutely love this combination. Let her dig in with her fingers and watch them turn red. I know, it’s heart stopping to just envision the mess but just let her play one time. One time is more than enough 😉
Slow Cooker Size: 4 to 6 quarts (3.8 to 5.7 l); oval
❄ Freezes well, but you may see some ice crystals. Some separation may occur when thawed; mix to combine.
🍎 B vitamins, including folate, and A and C, plus fiber and a little bit of iron and calcium
Apples and Beets with Ginger
- 4 large apples such as McIntosh
- 4 large beets
- 1/2 cup 120 ml cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon pureed or grated fresh ginger
- Wash the apples and beets. Halve, core, and peel the apples, then roughly chop them. Peel the beets and chop them into small but relatively uniform chunks.
- Transfer the apples and beets to the slow cooker. Add the water and ginger. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, checking after 3 hours and adding more water if needed. After 4 hours, check the texture of the beets. If they are soft cooked, remove the beets and apples from the slow cooker and set aside to cool. Otherwise, cook for an additional 2 to 3 hours (to finish cooking more quickly, set the slow cooker to high).
- The apples will simmer down nicely, while the beets will remain soft but should not be mushy.