This dish is like Thanksgiving in a slow cooker, and your baby will thank you for making it. Whether you puree or mash up the apple and sweet potato mixture for self-feeding, this is a wonderful meal for babies. As with all of these slow cooker recipes marked for babies, you can incorporate the recipe into your daily family meals too!
Slow Cooker Size: 4 to 6 quarts (3.8 to 5.7 l); oval
❄ Freezes well, but some separation may occur when thawed. Mix to combine.
🍎 Vitamins, A, B, C, E, and a little bit of iron and calcium
Slow Cooker Apples & Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 6 large apples such as McIntosh
- 1 cup 235 ml cold water
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg optional
- Wash the sweet potatoes and apples. Peel and then chop the sweet potatoes into small but relatively uniform chunks. Halve, core, and peel the apples. Roughly chop them into chunks.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes and apples to the slow cooker. Add the water. If using, add the cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 4 hours. After 3 hours of cooking time, check and add more water, if needed. The apples will simmer down nicely, while the sweet potatoes should be soft but not overly mushy.
- It is possible that the sweet potatoes may need additional time to cook. If so, you can opt to remove the apples and continue to cook the sweet potatoes or just set the timer for an additional hour.