This soup is almost like a casserole, with the same big flavor and creamy goodness. And yes, there are even some chunks of chicken and vegetables that little fingers can pick up and self-feed from a bowl or plate. Winner winner!
Chicken Soup – Share it with Baby
There’s nothing better than a bowl of warm homemade chicken soup on a chilly Fall or Winter’s day. This soup is great to share with babies from 8 months and older.
- 1 purple top turnip
- 5 medium carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1/2 large onion
- 2-3 red potatoes
- 2 large parsnips
- dill and parsley – as desired
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 6 cups of chicken broth or stock (lo or no sodium is best)
- 1 2-3 pound chicken – use a rotisserie chicken for convenience and taste
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (optional)
- You will need a large stock pot or large sauce pot to make this soup – it calls for 6 cups of liquid.
- Peel and roughly chop the vegetables
- Remove the chicken meat from the rotisserie chicken and set aside
- Saute the veggies in the pot for about 10 minutes or until they are soften just a bit
- Add in the broth and bring to a boil
- Lower heat to simmer and simmer for 30 minutes
- Add in chicken and fresh herbs
- Bring to a second boil
- Lower heat and return to simmer for 30 minutes again
Be sure to hide some of this soup so you can save it for later!