This is a favorite recipe for the winter months. No one likes getting up when it’s dark and cold but, wake up to this warm and delicious oatmeal and everyone will be smiling. Offer your baby his own bowl and let him use his fingers and also practice spoon skills.
- 1 ½ cups steel cut oats
- 5 Granny Smith apples
- 7 cups of water
- or 4 cups water and 3 cups cider or low fat milk
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- Wash and peel and core the apples
- Wipe inside of slow cooker vessel with butter
- Add the oats, apples and spices and liquid to the slow cooker – stir to combine
- Cover and set to low – cook for approximately 8 hours on low, overnight if
- Wake up and enjoy!
Preparation and Storage for Baby:
When cooked, spoon out a portion for baby and allow to cool. Making warm cereals in the slow cooker overnight is a great way to get the whole family to show up at the breakfast table. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days for babies, up to 5 days for adults.
Freeze in large ice cube trays or any container that is freezer safe Once frozen, transfer the cereal into freezer safe bags and label the bags with the date and the name of the food. Store in the back area of the freezer for 3 to 6 months.
*Steel cut oats do better in the slow cooker overnight than do rolled oats or quick cook oats. Don’t substitute the oats because the recipe will not turn out well. Serves 8+