Slow Cooker Apples
Using a slow cooker to create a wide variety of apple dishes is a big tradition in my house, especially during the fall. The smell of apples and spices cooking fills the house with deliciousness and makes everyone happy.
Sometimes it truly is the little things that make my family happy. Enjoy the wonderful warmth of apples in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Size: 4 to 6 quarts (3.8 to 5.7 l)
Freezes well, but color may change.
Vitamins A, C, and E, fiber, potassium, calcium, and magnesium
Slow Cooker Applesauce
- 6 pounds of apples – try a mix of Macintosh and Fuji or just Macintosh
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cinnamon stick or 2 teaspoons powdered cinnamon
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- pinch of nutmeg ginger and/or allspice (optional)
- Wash, peel and core the apples
- Chop apples roughly or use an apple slicer
- Add apples to a 5qt crockpot/slow cooker
- Add spices then pour water over apples – stir to combine
- Cover, set heat to low and simmer away for up to 8 hours!
- Check this every hour or so and give it a stir. It will be done when it is at the texture you like; it can be chunky or really thin.
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- spices as desired
- Keep some applesauce in the slow cooker (about 3 cups) then add the ingredients above.Simmer until liquid is well reduced, color is brown and texture is thick like paste. Cool and puree if desired